Fraser’s Hill is about 105km north of Kuala Lumpur. It was built on seven hills, just like the ancient city of Rome. The hills straddle the Pahang-Selangor border. The hill resort was named after an English adventurer, Louis James Fraser, who built himself a shack in the hill in the 19th century. He operated a primitive mule train and embarked on a lucrative trade in tin ore. Stories about his life include rumours of an opium and gambling. However, he disappeared during the first decade of the 20th century and was never seen again.
In Fraser’s Hill it’s cool throughout the year at an average of 18 – 20 degree Celsius, the attraction of Fraser’s Hill as a tourist resort has not diminished through the years. Today, Fraser’s Hill is popular as a site for company retreats and weekends.
Fraser’s Hill can be reached through the Karak highway. Turn left at the Bentong junction and proceed to Teranum. Alternatively, one can take the old trunk road route heading towards Penang and turn off at
Kuala Kubu Bharu for the drive to the Gap. The last 8 km from the Gap to the top of Fraser’s hill is along scenic, narrow winding road which carries one-way traffic from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.
This stretch (35 min to 45 min) is for one way traffic during the day and 2 way at night. It is narrow and wide enough for one car only except several stretches where 2 cars can squeeze through. Gates (Lower Gate & Upper Gates) control the passage of traffic at the last 7km stretch to Fraser’s Hill. The gate times are :
Going Up (Odd Hours)
07.00am – 07.40am
09.00am – 09.40am
11.00am – 11.40am
01.00am – 01.40am
03.00am – 03.40am
05.00am – 05.40am
07.00am – 07.40am
Going Down (Even Hours)
06.00am – 06.40am
08.00am – 08.40am
10.00am – 10.40am
12.00am – 12.40am
02.00am – 02.40am
04.00am – 04.40am
06.00am – 06.40am
There’s so much to do, see and dine in Fraser’s Hill ….there’s archery, whitewater rafting, waterfalls, bird watching, jungle trekking, golfing, nature walks, sightseeing tours, picnics, hiking, cycling, abseiling, mountain climbing, horse rides at the Paddock, fishing and boating at the Fraser’s Hill Lake and an unending list of activities available all year round in cool refreshing climate for everyone. There are beautiful sunrise and sunsets to view, lush pine tree forests for picnics, highland flower nurseries to appreciate, golf courses to enjoy and karaokes for entertainment. Children will also find interesting nature discovery attractions at the Fraser’s Hill Nature Education Centre.
The Fraser’s Hill town centre is actually a very small commercial area where there are restaurants, public facilities and markets.
The Fraser’s Hill Golf Course (FHGC) Clubhouse (on the top right hand corner of photograph) houses the Par on Tenth Restaurant and Karaoke. The restaurant serves Malaysian food and opens from 8.00am to 12.00 am while the Karaoke opens from 8.00 pm to 12.00 am.
The Spices Restaurant & Pub (the small bungalow on top of the photograph) opens form 9.00am to 12.00am and serves Malaysian cuisine but Indian food is their specialty. Beside the Spices Restaurant is the Puncak Inn. This is a budget inn catering to budget travelers with basic rooms in the range of RM50.00 per night.
Below the inn are a few food outlets and a mini-market. The food outlets are the Hillview Restaurant which serves home cooked Chinese food (non-halal) and opens from 9.00am to 12.00am. The restaurant is operated by the Yap family and has been residents in the hill for over 2 generations. The Arzed Restaurant & Puncak Restaurant serves Malaysian food and you should not miss their “roti canai” and “nasi lemak”. They open from 7.00am to 10.00pm
The Fraser’s Hill Mini-Market which supplies almost all daily wet and dry provisions opens from 9.00am to 10.00pm.
On Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays, Mahmud and Daud’s Burger Stall opens in the town centre and serves sizzling burgers sandwiched in soft buns; a delightful treat in the cool weather.
Nearer to the upper Gate is the Kheng Yuen Lee Restaurant which opens from 9.00 am to 7.00 pm. The restaurant is famous for its “curry laksa” and available during weekends only. Opposite the restaurant is the Maniam Cooperative Store which also supplies daily dry and wet provisions.
At the bottom of the photograph, you can see the roof of a bungalow. This rustic stone-built bungalow is now the Post Office which dates back to 1923. It opens from 8.00am to 5.00pm except Sundays and Public Holidays.
Beside the Post Office is the Police Station which was built in 1919. The Officer-In-Charge is Sarjan Masara.
Opposite the Police Station is the Medical Dispensary which was also built in 1919. The dispensary is run by Medical Attendants and opens from 8.00am to 4.15pm. First aid and minor treatments are available but emergency and outpatient treatments are referred to the Raub or Kuala Kubu District Hospitals about 20km away.