Sungai Tekala forest park is a weekend nature getaway.
Not too far from the Ulu Langat attractions of Sungai Chongkak and Gabai jungle waterfall, the recreational forest (hutan lipur) combines a gentle river swimming hole surrounded by shady rainforest trees.
A very popular nature escape for outdoor activities spent with the kids or good for a family picnic idea. A slow and shallow river lingers throughout the park.
Even with crowds, it’s possible to find a secluded spot the further you hike up the forest river.
Still a nice lowland dipterocarp rainforest, the park offers a good opportunity for birdwatching and nature photography. Practice spotting rainforest birds and scout the scenery to find colorful jungle pictures to shoot.
Sungai Tekala Forest Park: Things To Do
Family Picnic – Nothing beats good food and a jungle swim. Spend the day soaking up the outdoors and leave the concrete jungle behind.
Camping – With plenty of camping spots available, the school holidays and weekends are perfect for hanging out in the jungle with friends or family.
Jungle Trekking – A trail rims the boundary of the forest park and showcases the diversity of lowland rainforest. Check with the Forestry Department centre for information on special interpretative activities and trail conditions.
Jungle Photography – Take a tripod and slow down the action for some awesome cotton-candy river shots or go macro and shoot rainforest insects and rainforest frogs hidden in the vegetation.
Sungai Tekala Forest Park: General Information
Weekends are generally crowded as visitors congregate along the river. There are facilities closer to the entrance and several new changing stalls located in convenient sites.
The hours of operation are daily from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm.
Fees and Facilities
- Entry fee RM 1
- no parking fee (subject to change)
- food and drink sellers alongside entrance road usually available on weekends, but do bring your own too
- toilet facilities available and a few covered shelters for picnics
- camping available for RM 5 per night across the main entrance in a fenced off area with its own toilet facility
For further information please contact:
Pejabat Hutan Daerah Hulu Selangor
48000 Rawang, Selangor
Hutan Lipur Sungai Tekala
How To Get There
The Hulu Langat road is usually slow every day due to lorries and narrow lanes. If there is no traffic, expect to reach Sungai Tekala just over an hour. With traffic add another 30 minutes.
- From Kuala Lumpur head out to Cheras-Kajang highway and go through the first toll way
- Take the first left exit (Exit 702 – Persimpangan Hulu Langat) where a large sign points the direction to Air Terjun Gabai, Air Terjun Tekala, and Air Terjun Batangsi
- Stay left on the two-lane road (Ulu Langat) and expect some traffic delays for the next 5 km
- Watch for a series of brown signs to Air Terjun Gabai, Hutan Rekreasi Sungai Chongkak and Hutan Rekreasi Gunung Nuang along this road and expect a left turn at a junction
- Watch for blue signs pointing the way to Hutan Lipur Sg. Chongkak, Perdik and Gabai (another 20-25 km ahead)
- Watch for the road junction where straight ahead lies Sg. Chongkak and Gunung Nuang and a right turn towards Sungai Lui and Semenyih takes you to Gabai Falls
- Follow the right turn road for a few kilometers and watch for the blue Hutan Lipur Sg. Gabai signs
- Continue on this road (B19) for about 20 km, past the turnoff left for Gabai Falls, past Semenyih Dam and into the park
- To return to KL either backtrack the same way or continue going straight on B19 and reach a junction (mosque opposite stoplight) and turn right
- Alternatively travel 13 km from Semenyih to approach the park without going to Ulu Langat road; head for the Nirvana Christian Garden and Chinese Cemetary